Happy New Year everyone!
This is an exciting time of year. A time for new beginnings.
Resolutions can be really tough!
Set yourself up for successful accomplishments by following some of these important tips-
1) Make it something YOU REALLY WANT to do!
· It cannot come from the influences of other people.
· It cannot be something you “should do”. It has to be something you “want to do”.
· To be a success the resolution has to come from within and it has to be something we really want to do for ourselves.
2) Make it achievable!
· Is it something you can actually accomplish?
· Break down long term goals into smaller more achievable goals.
· It might help to think about your resolution month by month or even week by week.
3) Make it an action & make it positive
· For example:
o Don’t say: I want to lose weight this year.
o Instead make it an action by saying how you will lose weight this year (running, cutting down on portions, eating more fruits and vegetables, swimming….)
o Make it positive – Don’t say you will lose weight by doing something unhealthy like starving yourself on the weekends! Make it a positive change and keep it healthy.
A good way to start is to write down your large long term resolutions (keeping all of the above in mind) and then break them down by writing smaller action plans.
Your action plan/goal should look something like this:
I want to lose weight by walking (this is your action), for 30 minutes (specify how much or how long), when I get home from work (when do you want to do it?), on Monday, Wednesday and Saturday for 2 weeks (specify how often).
I want to eat more vegetables (this is your action), by eating 1 cup of raw salad (specify how much or how long), at dinnertime (when do you want to do it?), every Monday and Thursday for 3 months (specify how often).
Remember to have fun with it! If you fall off track, just start again – keep trying until you achieve your goals! You can do it!